Although Jessica had heard of injuries caused by people falling off hoverboards, she says she had never heard that a hoverboard might catch fire. But just one day after using it, Jessica’s son was charging the battery– using the charger that came with the hoverboard— when Jessica says she saw flames shooting from both ends.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission, a federal agency, tells WGNO that in the last three months, there have eight reported injuries involving hoverboards that required a trip to the emergency room. But all of the injuries were related to falls– not fires.
An agency spokesman also said that “federal rules prevent (the agency) from speaking specifically about a brand name product.” However, the CPSC “strongly encourages” consumers to report product safety issues. The Louisiana State Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the fire, and WGNO will post updates as they become available.